This is to get people who are involved or want to be involved in the working group who want to migrate away from Google Groups or any other big corporate web tool.
May 2, 2012
Our mission is to eliminate the corrosive, non democratic influence of private money on our public electoral systems and government.
We will achieve tangible progress towards this mission with a strategic approach to actions that may include the following:
❶ Research and self-education.
❷ Public outreach and education.
❸ Non violent direct actions that bring attention to the issues and the
❹ Calling for and supporting appropriate legislation, resolutions, ballot
initiatives and constitutional amendments at the local, state and federal
❺ Building support among activists and organizations across the political
We are looking for new venues (donated) to screen movies on the issue of money in politic$. If you are interested collaborating with us (helping us access venues) email peopleoverprofits[at]re-configure.org. We were screening movies at Workshop Theater but complications have arisen. On July 30 we screened “Lifting the Veil: Barack Obama & the Failure of Capitalist Democracy” (1 hr, 53min) exposes the deadly 21st century hypocrisy of U.S. internal and external policies as it imbues the viewer with a sense of urgency and an actualized hope to bring about real systemic change while there is yet time for humanity and this planet.
On June 4 we showed “Jack Abramoff: The Lobbyists Playbook” followed by “Koch Brothers Exposed” (52 min) at the Workshop Theater.
Location: Workshop Theater Company’s Main Stage Theater on 312 W. 36th St, west of 8th Ave, 4th floor (elevator accessible).
For many months we have had a “corporation$ are not people and money is not free $peech” stamp that we have been stamping money with. We now have a “Get Money Out of Politic$” speech bubble stamp.
We had a rally for public campaign financing on Thurs, June 14 (flag day) and even handed the petition to Governor Cuomo while at his NYC office at 3rd Ave between 40th/41st street.
Sample: Do you care about getting the corrupting influence of money out of politics? Do you want a fair election process and a government that works for all people, not just the special interests? Go to the full petition and sign it now.
For more info or to get involved, email getmoneyoutofpoliticsnyc [at] gmail.com
- Huge resource repository (wiki planned)
- “Revolving door” resources - The “revolving door” is when former federal employees get jobs as lobbyists, consultants and strategists and when former hired guns get into government careers. While officials in the executive branch, Congress and senior congressional staffers spin in and out of the private and public sectors, so too does privilege, power, access and, of course, money.
- Group meeting minutes archive (updating in-progress) November 2011-present
- Occupy Wall Street NYC General Assembly forum for politics & electoral reform
- Photos and videos of our January 20 & 21 (2012) events (Citizens United 2 yr anniversary/anti-versary)